Founded in 1965, ECIS (the Educational Collaborative for International Schools–formerly known as the European Council of International Schools) provides professional learning, research, advocacy, and funding for internationally-minded schools.
“Transforming Students into Citizen Scientists”
According to the European Citizen Science Association (ECSA), “We are witnessing an explosion of activity around Citizen Science”, in part stimulated by “the power of modern IT systems, tablets, smartphones, watches and other devices.” New research shows that CS often instills a lifelong connection to participatory science, which benefits society as well as the individual.
Our session inspires teachers to join the wave of schools that are sparking excitement in their students by incorporating citizen science into their curricula.
This session begins with the story of Leysin American School as it develops the school-wide citizen science initiative we call LETS Study Leysin. We then explore how citizen science can be integrated into curricula such as IB, IGCSE, and AP. We conclude with the latest findings from the new ECSA working group on citizen science in education and learning, of which John is co-chair.
We’ll present resources that are needed for schools to dive straight into existing projects or to start their own. These resources will be showcased on this web page. Stay tuned.
At the conference, please take the
Turning Students Into Citizen Scientists Attendance Surveys:
Attendance Survey #1 (near start of session) https://goo.gl/forms/JIEydAjiPsKZCUxd2
Attendance Survey #2 (at end of session) https://goo.gl/forms/ZjfU4W0c0CDZ82SZ2
Websites we’ll visit during the presentation include:
iNaturalist.org (scroll down for links to app stores)
How to download and register your account in iNaturalist:
- Download iNaturalist from the App Store.
- Register your personal account.
- Join the “ECIS Copenhagen Bioblitz 18 Nov 2016” project.
- On your phone in iNaturalist: click “More” (3 dots) in bottom right
- Click Projects
- Click Nearby in box at top of screen
- Choose ECIS Copenhagen Bioblitz 18 Nov 2016
- Every time you make an Observation, choose “ECIS Copenhagen Bioblitz 18 Nov 2016” from “Projects” at the bottom of your screen.
- Be sure to mark your observation as “Captive / Cultivated” if that’s what it is.
Link to JH ppt in Dropbox (download).